The Best Portable Air Conditioner for small apartment is perfect for lowering temperatures in apartments, bedrooms, office cubicles, and personal spaces.
An incredibly compact design also makes these apartment air conditioner models the ideal cooling solution for areas with limited floor space.
These devices work as three appliances in one – air conditioner, fan, and room dehumidifier, all in one compact unit. Some models also feature the 4th mode – heater mode.
There is no better cooling solution than a portable conditioner, with no permanent installation, when the weather starts to heat up and the installation of a central conditioning system is out of the question.
Cool out the home with these top-rated portable air conditioners!
If there is one thing that I hate, it would be the heat during the summer season. I find it uncomfortable to work and sleep at such an extreme temperature. Luckily, different best portable air conditioners will provide the best solution to my problem in the upcoming summer of the year 2020.
One of the reasons why I like these kinds of air conditioners is the fact that they have a compact size. It will not consume too much space anywhere it is placed. Even if I live in a small house, these appliances will still prove to be functional.
I also believe that they will be the ideal option if you value flexibility. In my case, I am not only given a chance to have it used as an air conditioner, but also as a fan and room dehumidifier. In some other models, it is also possible for such to function as a portable heater.
The best portable air conditioners are also good because they do not require any installation. In my case, I hate DIY jobs that will require tools and effort to set up a particular appliance. Luckily, with these products, all I need to do is have them plugged in and automatically enjoy their cooling effect. I can also put it in my truck and take it to my summer house.
Like me, if you also want the portability and functionality of these ACs, just read this article, and you will have a better idea of how to end up with the best choice.
- Essential Features of Air Conditioner
- Air Conditioner vs Evaporative Air Cooler vs Oscillating Fan
- How Powerful AC Do I Need?
- Dual Hose vs Single Hose Portable Air Conditioners
- Other Air Quality Improvement Devices
- Frequently Asked Questions
Essential Features of Air Conditioner
The air conditioning unit that stands out with performance and efficiency has the following features:
- Power (in BTU per hour) – more powerful units can cover a larger room
- Single Hose vs Dual Hose Conditioners – dual hose portable AC units work better than single-hose units. Why? Because they have this second vent that exhausts the warm and humid air out of the room.
- Airflow direction – you would want to have an ability to direct the airflow where you need it – vertically or horizontally.
- Well designed controls – large and uncrowded buttons, clear labeling, digital temperature readouts — much easier to use.
- The timer gives you much freedom – the conditioner can be turned off when you’re out or set to turn on just before you expect to get home.
- Energy-efficient design allows you to save energy and makes using the conditioner cheaper in the long run.
- Dehumidifying mode will dehumidify the air in your room on humid but cold days in spring and fall.
- Fresh-air intake or exhaust setting provides ventilation without cooling.
If you want the best choice within this product category, I suggest that you consider the following before settling on a final decision:
- Air Flow: Make sure to decide whether you would want the air to be dispersed in the horizontal or vertical direction from where the unit is placed.
- Ease of Use: I personally do not want a portable conditioner with elaborate controls and buttons. I suggest that you look for a model that has easily accessible controls and easy to navigate interface so that it will be a snap to use such.
- Timer: This has helped me a lot in terms of energy efficiency. It has given me the freedom to choose on the duration at which I want the unit to be functional.
- Energy Efficiency: To reduce your electricity bills, make sure that the model chosen does not consume too much energy. I prioritize units that can be operated in energy-saving mode.
- Dehumidifier: This is an add-on feature that will prove to be nice. It can help in making sure that you breathe fresh air while the right level of temperature is being maintained.
- Fresh Air Function: With this, the portable AC can function only by providing you the ventilation that is needed in the absence of producing a cooling effect.
Air Conditioner vs Evaporative Air Cooler vs Oscillating Fan
If you will decide to check out the best-selling portable AC list on Amazon please keep in mind one thing.
Amazon’s list, in fact, contains not only portable AC units but also Window Conditioners, Air Coolers, and other devices. Always carefully read the product name and description!
In addition to different types of air conditioners you will also see these types of appliances on the Amazon list.
Machines like KuulAire KA50 and SPT SF-609 Portable Evaporative Air Cooler with Ionizer – they use water to cool the air.
Tower Fans and Cooling Tower Fans
Likes of Lasko 4916 Desktop Wind Tower Oscillating Fan – they are just a type of a bit more advanced fan.
I am recommending the use of portable ACs if you are on the lookout for a product that can provide a cooling effect, yet such an appliance can be easily transferred from one location to another and will no longer need to be installed.
On the other hand, if you want more powerful cooling performance and you have the time and effort to spare for installation, you might want to consider the window-type air conditioners instead. One of the models I can recommend is the Frigidaire FRA064VU1.
Do you want your room to be cooled without spending too much on electricity bills? In this case, I suggest buying an evaporative ACs, just like the SPT SF-609. The products within this category make use of water to produce a cooling effect.
The most economical option, however, would be the oscillating fan. They are cheap and consume minimal energy. You can consider the Lasko 4916 Desktop Wind Tower Oscillating Fan.
How Powerful AC Do I Need?
Here is a table with room sizes and corresponding apartment air conditioner power ratings in BTUs.
Dual Hose vs Single Hose Portable Air Conditioners
Part of a generation where we cannot live without the comforts of a conditioner, technology has brought us portable AC.
As the name suggests, one could easily carry it around with them wherever they wish to. Most of them require a window or open space where the system releases its exhaust.
If you have made up your mind that you will settle for portable conditioners, one of the first things that I suggest you should do is to decide on whether you want a dual hose or a single hose model.
Differing by size, brand, configurations, conditioners are mainly divided into two types depending on how the AC is vented:
- Dual hose conditioners
- Single hose conditioners
I am recommending the use of single hose models if you are working on a tight budget and if you are looking for something that will be used in a small room. The air that is produced by such is pulled only from the room at which it is used, which makes it less effective if it is placed in a larger space.
On the other hand, if you have the money to spare, I recommend that you go for the dual hose AC. One hose pulls air from the room, while the other hose brings it back after having it cooled. This results in a better capability to cool larger spaces.
Coming in handy in small or large places, these conditioning units are used about everywhere from garages to commercial areas. They carry the ability to cool any place efficiently in a short time. Cost-effective products, owning one of these ACs come in handy.
Two hose conditioner could be modified into a single vent conditioner anytime. They are said to be bulkier in comparison, but more useful, due to the presence of two hoses instead of one. Although the one vent AC is comparatively cheaper.
In single vent machines, one pipe is vented to the outside of the conditioner. The unit contains a compressor/condenser that is cooled with air. This air is taken from inside the room itself. The other type of conditioner also has a hose, which is also known as the exhaust hose. This vents out the air after it has cooled the condenser.
On the other hand, AC units with two hoses contain a condenser which is cooled by drawing air from outside, through just one of the tubes. The second tube expels exhaust outside. These types of machines have two hoses vented to the outside of it.
One hose ACs consume lesser energy and are lighter. Hence, they are easier to move around from place to place. However, 2 vent conditioners do not produce a negative pressure within the room and could thus cool a space faster than 1 hose systems.
For users who have a small place to cool, the single vent machine could be their pick. That would allow them to maneuver the conditioner from time to time too. If you have ample space to cool, you should probably opt for the dual vent AC unit. Despite being heavier and consuming more energy, it will work more efficiently for the larger spaces.
I have explored different ways of venting the portable AC in my article.
One model that I can personally recommend in this product category is the Whynter ARC-14S. With 14,000 BTU, its cooling power will be more than enough for a room that is as big as 500 square feet. It is also multi-functional as it can be used as a dehumidifier and fan.
Another model that I like is the Whynter ARC-14SH, which can also deliver 14,000 BTU. I love the fact that it is equipped with casters, making it a lot easier for you to have it transferred from one place to another.
Lastly, you might also be interested in checking out Whynter ARC-12SD, which has 12,000 BTU. If you are like me who gets annoyed with units that make a loud noise when operating, this will be a good choice as it has a very quiet motor.
Dual Hose AC Units
One of the types of ACs is the two vents portable conditioning unit. As the name suggests, these appliances have two venting hoses. They are generally bigger and noisier, compared to the single tube AC units.
Double vent portable conditioners include some features, some of which are as follows:
- There are up to five types of operational modes: automatic, fan, dehumidifier, energy-conserving and heat. The dehumidifier option dehumidifies the air in the room without cooling. The fan mode circulates air in the room and allows up to four fan speeds to choose from.
- Has an auto-drain function: It removes all moisture from the air and recycles it into clean air. Excessive condensation is prevented so that there are no accumulations inside the system.
- High power supply
- Maximum power consumption
- Digital control of the thermostat
- Washable air filters: To wash the filters, the user has to remove them from the unit and rinse or vacuum the dust.
- Adjustable louvers
- High cooling power
- There is a 24 hour on/off timer too: This timer is programmable.
- They can cool an area faster than the 1 hose conditioners
- Dual vent coolers are more efficient
- Negative pressure is not created inside the room, as it has two separate hoses: one for intake and one for exhaust
- Also, they can cool areas larger than the 1 hose AC
Single Hose AC Units
The other type of mobile conditioning unit is the AC with one hose design. Probably invented before the double vent portable conditioner, this machine has much straightforward construction. Although it functions quite differently from the double hose portable ACs.
Single tube ACs offer many features, a few of which are:
- Self-evaporating system: To remove exhaust from the system, air condenses into water inside the appliance. As this machine has a self-evaporating, auto-drain system, maintenance is more straightforward.
- Digital control of the thermostat
- The option of programmable timers or continuous operation
- High cooling power
- Up to 4 types of operational modes: fan, dehumidifier, automatic, cool. The fan mode has up to four different speeds.
- Makes use of ozone-depleting refrigerant
- Clever auto-restart: The 1 hose AC unit is smart and remembers the settings done by the user. In case of a power outage, this appliance will restart at the previous function when power resumes.
- Energy Efficiency: This means that less energy is consumed compared to other portable conditioners.
- Control panel which is easy to operate
- Washable air filters: These filters are quick and easy to wash, getting rid of any accumulated dirt.
The EdgeStar AP8000W I have reviewed belongs to this type.
- These machines require lesser electricity to run, compared to dual hose ones. This is due to double hose units containing two internal fans
- They are lighter and hence, more comfortable to carry from place to place
- One vent conditioner may be a little more efficient comparatively. This is explained by the weakened efficiency of two hose appliances resulting from using warm air to cool its compressor
- They cost less than the dual hose systems
On the other hand, if you need a portable AC for smaller rooms, one of the choices that I can suggest is the Haier CPN12XH9. Aside from being a dehumidifier, air conditioning, and fan, it can also be functional as a heater during the cold season.
The Black & Decker BPC08CJ is another good option. This is good if you like being able to customize the functionality of appliances. It has three different settings for fan and cooling mode. The louvers can also be easily adjusted depending on the direction of airflow that is preferred.
Lastly, Frigidaire FRA053PU1 is also an option that I am sure you will not regret making. It can quickly cool a room that has a size of 216 square feet. It also comes with an antimicrobial mesh filter, which will make sure that you breathe fresh air all the time.
Other Air Quality Improvement Devices
We have also reviewed the Whirlpool AP51030K air purifier and several models of air humidifiers.
Frequently Asked Questions
I need an air conditioner for the apartment with no windows. Which is the best option?
Here you can get several ideas about how to vent the AC without the window.