Learning how to install portable air conditioner in sliding door is a skill that’s both practical and cost-effective. With the right sliding door venting kit and tools, you can easily set up your air conditioner in just a few minutes.
Many portable air conditioners come with vent kits, making the installation process through a sliding door a breeze. You don’t need to be an expert or have any special training to get the job done. By following the provided instructions, you’ll have a clear understanding of what to do.
It’s also worth mentioning that there are alternative installation methods, such as using a screen door seal or even cutting a hole in the door glass, but these methods may require more effort and expertise.
For simplicity and ease, I’ll begin with the sliding door venting kit method in this guide.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases made through links in this post at no extra cost to you.
- How to Install Portable Air Conditioner in Sliding Door?
- The Step By Step Process of Installation of Portable AC in Sliding Door
How to Install Portable Air Conditioner in Sliding Door?
There are three ways to install the portable AC in the sliding door:
- install a sliding door vent kit
- install a screen in the part of the door and vent the AC thru the screen
- cut a hole in the door glass and attach the vent hose to the hole
|Sliding Door Vent Kit
|A specially designed kit that includes a vent panel, sealing materials, and attachments to secure the exhaust hose to the sliding door.
|Easy to install, designed for the purpose, efficient sealing
|May need to find a kit that fits your specific sliding door dimensions
|A custom-made fabric screen that covers the sliding door opening and has a hole for the exhaust hose. The screen is secured to the door frame with Velcro or magnets.
|DIY, affordable, easy to remove for cleaning
|Less efficient sealing, may require sewing or crafting skills, less durable
|Cut a Hole in the Door Glass
|Cut a hole in the sliding door glass to fit the vent hose, and attach the hose directly to the hole.
|Minimal visual impact, secure connection
|Requires professional assistance, a potential risk to door integrity, may void the warranty
Sliding Door Vent Kit
A sliding door vent kit offers a simple, effective, and purpose-built solution for venting your portable air conditioner through a sliding door.
It’s designed to fit within the door frame and provides a secure, airtight connection for your exhaust hose. Let me explain how this ingenious solution works.
Components of a Sliding Door Vent Kit
A typical sliding door vent kit includes the following components:
- Vent panel: This is a sturdy, adjustable panel made of plastic or metal that fits into the sliding door track. It usually has a hole or connector for attaching the exhaust hose.
- Exhaust hose adapter: This connector attaches the exhaust hose from your portable air conditioner to the vent panel. It ensures a tight seal to prevent air leakage.
- Sealing materials: The kit often includes weatherstripping or foam tape to seal the gaps between the vent panel and the sliding door frame, ensuring efficient insulation and minimizing air leakage.
How a Sliding Door Vent Kit Works
Installing a sliding door vent kit is a relatively straightforward process, and I’ll break it down into simple steps:
- Measure and prepare the sliding door: First, measure the width and height of your sliding door to ensure the vent panel fits properly. Some vent panels are adjustable to accommodate different door dimensions. Make sure your door is clean and free of debris, as this will help create a better seal.
- Assemble the venting kit: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to assemble the vent panel and attach the exhaust hose adapter. Make sure the connections are secure.
- Attach the exhaust hose to the air conditioner: Connect one end of the exhaust hose to the air conditioner unit, following the manufacturer’s guidelines. Ensure a snug fit to prevent air leaks.
- Install the venting kit in the sliding door: Open the sliding door slightly and place the vent panel in the door track. Align the panel with the door frame and slide it into position. Close the door against the vent panel, and use the provided sealing materials to seal any gaps between the panel and the door frame.
- Connect the exhaust hose to the vent panel: Attach the other end of the exhaust hose to the adapter on the vent panel. Ensure a secure connection to prevent air leaks.
The back of every portable air conditioner features an air exhaust vent where the exhaust hose connects. There are two common sizes of exhaust hoses: 5.1 inches and 5.9 inches. Therefore, before ordering a sliding door vent kit, it’s crucial to check your AC’s air exhaust outlet diameter and choose the appropriate kit:
- for 5.1 inch hose with elongated connector – Gulrear Sliding Door Air Conditioner Kit for 5.1″ hose
- for 5.9 inch hose with round connector – Gulrear Sliding Door Air Conditioner Kit for 5.9″ hose
Screen Door Seal
A screen door seal offers a more customizable and affordable way to vent your portable air conditioner through a sliding door. This DIY solution involves installing a fabric screen with a hole for the exhaust hose, which is then secured to the door frame using Velcro or magnets.
Let’s take a closer look at how this alternative venting method works.
Components of a Fabric Door Screen Kit
A typical fabric door screen kit may include the following components:
- Fabric screen: A durable, weather-resistant fabric that covers the sliding door opening. The fabric should be breathable yet insulating to minimize heat transfer.
- Exhaust hose opening: An opening designed into the fabric screen to accommodate the exhaust hose. This opening matches the diameter of your portable air conditioner’s exhaust hose.
- Attachment materials: Velcro or magnetic strips to secure the fabric screen to the sliding door frame, allowing for easy installation and removal.
How a Fabric Door Screen Kit Works
Installing a fabric door screen kit is a simple process that requires minimal tools and some crafting skills. Here’s a step-by-step guide to creating and installing your fabric door screen:
- Measure and prepare the sliding door: First, measure the width and height of your sliding door to ensure the fabric screen will fit properly. Make sure the door and its frame are clean and free of debris to ensure a better seal.
- Attach the Velcro or magnetic strips: Sew or glue Velcro or magnetic strips along the edges of the fabric screen and on the corresponding sliding door frame. This will allow you to easily attach and remove the screen as needed.
- Install the fabric screen: Attach the fabric screen to the sliding door frame using Velcro or magnetic strips, ensuring a snug fit. Insert the exhaust hose through the hole in the fabric screen and connect it to your portable air conditioner.
While a fabric door screen kit is a more affordable and customizable venting solution, it may provide less efficient sealing than a sliding door vent kit. However, with proper installation and regular maintenance, a fabric door screen can still effectively vent your portable air conditioner through a sliding door while adding a touch of personal style to your space.
Cut a Hole in the Sliding Glass Door
When considering the installation of a portable air conditioner in your sliding door, there’s another method you could explore. However, it’s important to note that this approach requires professional assistance. Instead of using a vent kit or fabric screen, you could have a hole created in the glass door itself.
This customized opening provides the space needed to connect your AC vent hose directly to the outside. Hiring a skilled handyman to perform this task will cost some money, but the job can typically be completed within a day.
Do not attempt to do this yourself, as cutting a hole in the glass door is more challenging than it may seem. There’s a high risk of shattering the entire door if the process is not executed correctly and according to precise measurements.
This method is particularly popular among individuals living in hotter climates, where air conditioning is needed almost year-round. Creating a hole in the sliding glass door offers the closest solution to a permanent venting system for portable air conditioners.
The Step By Step Process of Installation of Portable AC in Sliding Door
First, let’s gather everything you need to install your portable air conditioner in the sliding door.
Choose the Installation Location
Start by selecting an optimal location for your portable air conditioning system. Ideally, you should place the air conditioner near the sliding door with an electrical outlet nearby. This is crucial for several reasons:
- Cables, especially unprotected ones, can pose a potential hazard.
- Extension cords should not be used, as they present a fire risk.
- The power cord should reach the outlet without being too strained. Similarly, the exhaust hose should reach the door without being excessively stretched. The hose’s ideal position should be as short and upright as possible.
- The unit must be placed on stable, level ground and in an area free of obstructions such as furniture, partitions, or plants, as these can impede airflow and reduce the efficiency of the air conditioner.
Consult the device’s user manual for the minimum allowable distance between the unit and the wall. Position your device accordingly.
Once the air conditioner is appropriately placed, you can begin the installation process.
Prepare the Necessary Items
Next, check the portable AC vent kit to ensure it contains everything you need for installation. The kit should include:
- Exhaust connector(s)
- Exhaust hose
- Hose adapters
- Door/window brackets
- Slider connectors
- Optional screws, weatherstripping, and other accessories
Verify that the bracket is compatible with your door. Typically, they are designed to slide vertically and horizontally in most standard doors. If it doesn’t fit perfectly, you may need to make some adjustments. The width of your door will determine whether the adapter kit needs to be trimmed or expanded. You can easily extend the kit using materials like plexiglass, plywood, or cardboard.
Prepare the Installation Kit
After opening the door, position the kit vertically and extend it until it reaches the frame’s height. For a sliding door, you may need a double bracket (a regular bracket plus a filler bracket).
Install the weatherstripping/foam to seal the opening and keep insects and warm air out. To secure the kit in place, fasten it with screws (if provided) and close the door sash.
Attach the Exhaust Hose
This step varies depending on the model. Be sure to follow the installation guide closely to determine your next move.
First, attach an exhaust connector to the unit. Some models may already have this installed. Plug the exhaust connector into the vent hose. Connect the opposite end of the vent hose to the adapter.
Extend the hose until it can be connected to the slider kit. When stretching the hose, remember that you want it to be short (ideally around 8 to 9 ft.) and straight until it reaches the door to avoid obstructing air movement. This is particularly important because the portable air conditioner exhaust hose gets hot during operation.
Otherwise, the cooling function of the machine may be compromised, and the unit could potentially be damaged.
Adjust the kit sliders until the gap between the frame and adapter is completely closed. Also, ensure that everything is securely fastened. You can use duct tape to secure the connections on both sides of the vent line if needed.
If you want a more visually appealing setup, consider hiding the portable air conditioner hose. There are several ways to conceal the hose, such as using decorative covers, running it behind furniture, or even incorporating it into your room’s design. This not only improves the overall appearance of your space but also keeps the hose safe from accidental damage.
Installing a portable air conditioner in a sliding door is a straightforward task that can be completed in just a short amount of time. All you need is a door vent kit and some basic tools.
Before installing a portable air conditioner, there are several factors to consider to ensure a smooth process and a worthwhile experience. Taking precautions is essential for protecting yourself and others in your surroundings.
Setting up a portable air conditioner in a sliding door is not overly complicated and does not require a significant investment of money or effort. By following the provided instructions and paying attention to important details, you can enjoy a more comfortable living environment with the added convenience of a portable cooling solution.